This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 18:24
Several years ago I read the book "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster. As one who has drifted far from being a very disciplined career woman to a very spontaneous, highly flexible mother and wife - I noticed discipline disappeard somewhere in the process. I see it in my parenting - and my waisteline. This book is now being read by the staff at our church. Since that includes my husband, he invited me to read along. I cringed at the thought - as just a glimpse of the book reminded me of it's powerless influence on me about 6 years ago. My first reaction was to blame the book or the author for not having the power to transform me into a person of great spiritual disciplines. My next thought was to feel bad about myself - taking personal responsibility for my failure due to a lack of willpower - or maybe too many distractions (could be any of many typical excuses).
The weekend before, I participated in a retreat for church leadership and their spouses. The topic was Warriors, Monks, and Mystics. We discussed how these three personalities all come together to describe the life and ministry of Jesus. We were challenged to look at ourselves -where did we connect and where were there some opportunities for gowth? Warrior and Mystic come easy for me. The Monk - well I like community, and I am learning quickly to appreciate solitude - but discipline...??? This monk - stunk - when it came to that. After making a joke about how undisciplined I am, suddenly I got a sick feeling in my stomach. I realized my "2 out of 3 ain't bad" attitude didn't jive with the "just wanna be like Jesus" praise songs I sing.
We need to ask ourselves "Do I really want to be like Jesus?". Or -"Am I ok with a grade of 67% in discipleship". Deep down inside of me - a small but nagging warning started to rise up. The warning was one word: LUKEWARM. I searched my heart and I knew the answer.
After arriving home from the retreat, I saw the 'Discipline' book on the table. For a split second, I started to have the same avoidance reaction as a few days earlier. Then - the Holy Spirit spoke "It's a new day" into my my spirit, and I picked up the book and headed to a cozy chair. The power's not in the book or in me -it's in the presence of the Holy Spirit - and with Him now being the only other member of my book club - anything is possible!
Because of God's grace and goodness - every day is a new day!
A great post from my lovely wife. We all need to look at ourselves honestly, and let the Holy Spirit show us were we need to grow. Then we must remember that every good and perfect gift comes from God, (paraphrase of James 1:17), so the improvement we make must come through the Holy Spirit working through us, as we submit more and more to Him.
ReplyDelete